Monday, November 29, 2010

Suppose it Were Different...

Professor Richard D. Wolff discusses how the economy would be different if workers controlled the means of production.


  1. I have never heard about the concept of employee owned businesses until VERY recently. The first examples I heard of are, in fact, in San Francisco, my own Golden State! Why haven't I heard about this sooner?

    A capitalist with proletariat control (and sounds as if it combines the best of both worlds)... could this be what Marx wanted?

  2. Hi CA Constantian,

    Same here. Like many people, I only thought about the economy in terms of state vs. private. I didn't give much thought to the organization of production. I guess the reason most people don’t know about employee-owned businesses is that they tend to operate quietly and the cooperative movement has often shunned politics in favor of worker self-organization.

    I really don’t know enough about Marx to make an informed comment on whether Marx would have supported worker cooperatives. I think even Marxists themselves are split on the issue, although I have noticed more Marxists are arguing for worker cooperatives since the collapse of the Soviet Union, Richard D. Wolff being one prominent one.